|As component leaders, you know first-hand that an ambitious young physician’s (YP) path to leadership can be, suffice it to say, less than straightforward. Making connections with current leaders then building those relationships—all while juggling clinical practice and family—can be daunting. With that in mind, APMA is launching the APMA Emerging Leaders Program to offer APMA member YPs the opportunity to build relationships with current leaders in the profession and grow into leaders.
APMA is asking component leaders to begin considering a YP from your component organization to participate in both required events and the inaugural program in advance of the application opening in June. The program will begin in the fall of 2022 at the Young Physicians’ Institute (YPI) in Chicago, and conclude at The National 2023 in Nashville, TN. Of the nominees, APMA will select up to 15 YPs to participate in the program. APMA will continue to split sponsorship costs for the event with one sponsored YP per component, up to $500.
The program is available exclusively to APMA YP members (members who graduated from podiatric medical school within the past 10 years). Nominees must demonstrate a strong interest in building leadership and advocacy skills within the profession. Components must identify three to five goals for their nominee to achieve by the end of the program, and commit to supporting the young physician to participate in both required events and at least two of the optional events over the course of the program. APMA will continue to split sponsorship costs with one sponsored YP per component, up to $500, to attend YPI; components commit to sending their YP participant to the 2023 Annual Scientific Meeting (The National).
- Attend the Young Physicians’ Institute (YPI) in Chicago, September 30–October 1
- Attend the APMA House of Delegates meeting as a delegate or alternate delegate for their state
- Participate in the APMA Legislative Conference (in-person or virtual, depending on the year)
- Attend (virtually) one public session of the APMA Board of Trustees meeting
- Attend (virtually) two Young Physician Leadership Panel (YPLP) calls per year
- Attend the conclusion of the APMA Emerging Leaders Program at the APMA 2023 Annual Scientific Meeting (The National) in Nashville, TN
Watch APMA publications for more information. In the meantime, components and YPs can learn more about the program in the March/April issue of Your APMA.